Done with school...now what?

So I've gotten through all six weeks of the Make it in Design Summer School. I'm actually a bit sad that it's over. The great thing is that I've been able to get feedback and learn so many new things just from the Facebook group alone. It makes you excited to see other work and also to showcase your own. People asked questions that I never even thought of and the responses helped me in so many ways. I've definitely improved in this short amount of time and I've learned that I need to keep challenging myself. I need to enter more competitions, whether it be through Spoonflower, Minted or other outlets I find. You can take a look at submissions and options for each brief below.



 Above are a few of my options for the second beginner brief. The assignment was to create something tribal. I'm really drawn to that stay anyway so this was a fun and exciting brief for me. Right up my alley!


On the other hand, for the third and final brief, the theme was jewels. This brief was really hard for me and I think my submissions came out like bad video game design LOL. I got a bit too crazy with bevel and emboss in Photoshop.


The second theme for the intermediate brief was Animal Print. I'm not really one for garanimal prints so this was a bit difficult also. I don't even think the subtle giraffe heads and print really registers. But maybe that's a good thing! The final intermediate brief theme was feathers. I really like how this came out. Too me it has a bit of a nautical theme, possibly because of the colors. What I'm learning is that I like order and organization so I keep pumping out all of these geometric patterns come in sizes that can be divided by 12...no I kid! But I think I need to challenge myself to be a bit more loose and organic.


I think I really loved all of the themes for the 2nd assignment in all three tracks. For the advanced brief, it was tribal collage. I was able to take sketches I'd been working on and use them. Unfortunately, I finished too late and missed the deadline for submission. For the third and final brief of them all, the theme was Intricate Chaos. Oh my was this difficult. Originally, I thought my original design (top left corner of the photo above) was pretty intricate. But as I sat with it I realized it was in no way chaotic. So I had some fun experimenting in Photoshop and what you see above is the finished result.

All in all, I had a wonderful experience and this has really lit a fire under my ass to keep going! SO...I signed up for Module 1 on the Make it in Design website.


I want to give a big thanks to Rachael Taylor and Beth Kempton for giving aspiring surface designers a chance and an outlet. Many years ago when I worked as an Interior Designer, it was difficult to find any information at all.

Tchau!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More