Dance as if no one is watching....

I don't know if I'd necessarily call myself a dancer, but I've been dancing and performing for as long as I can remember. I remember making up dance routines in my basement with my cousin when we were young, that's actually how I would make money during the summer break. We'd enter contests or perform for events. Dancing was my life. From junior high all the way through college, I was a cheerleader and I couldn't imagine not ever being one. When I went to Pratt for grad school I found this wonderful community of souls. I felt like I was home, like I had finally found who I was. I would go to poetry readings on the top floor of one of the dorms called "Spirit cypers". I went to event in downtown Brooklyn called the Tea Party and I felt like I was home. The first part of the night was the poetry readings and the last half was a dance party...to house music. My body and spirit finally felt free, it was hard for me to let go at first. Nevertheless, it was beautiful to watch everyone else. Ian Friday was the DJ, he's a friend and I still listen to his podcasts (global soul music) to this day. I also started going to Shelter with my roomate. We'd go at 1 or 2 in the morning and stay until about 8am. We were actually considered the "early crowd". That is where I really learned to let go, I'd find a corner and just let the music move me. It was truly a spiritual experience. I wrote this post because a friend posted a video on facebook today. He is an inspiring dancer and just a great guy. Ejoe, thanks for making me smile and reminding me to follow the music and let it take me where I need to go...


Enjoy!!

Tchau tchau

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More